Sat 9 Jul 2011
Tags: Berry, Hoyt, Lodge, Sherrard
Hoyt Family Tree
As we do with our cold genealogy projects, I am imposing limits on this project. In addition to the main line, I will only search out information about siblings, their spouses, and the basics (dates) regarding their children. Much more than that takes forever, but checking into at least those collateral lines helps to identify information about people that I want to trace. (Of course, I reserve the right to change the limits if needed!)
Within these limits I can research Lottie Berry Hoyt’s sisters. Charlotte (that name must have been important to the family to have both a Charlotte and a Lottie) and Alice were near Lottie on the 1920 Census. Here are their families:
- Charlotte B. Sharrad, age 50, widowed, born in Michigan, father born in New Jersey, mother born in Detroit (lined out), Michigan.1
- Joseph B. Sharrad, son, age 28, single, born in Michigan, father born in Illinois, mother born in Michigan, employed as a lawyer.
- Address: 55 Lake Shore Drive
- And at the rear of the property were:
- Laura Sharrad, daughter, age 19, single, born in Michigan.
- and the one servant, Almer W. Kappen, a chauffer.
- Edwin Lodge, age 70, born in Ohio, parents born in England, employed as a physician.2
- Alice D. Lodge, wife, age 48, born in Michigan, father born in New Jersey, mother born in Michigan.
- Joseph B. Lodge, son, age 13, all places of birth reported as Michigan.
- Adilade D. Lodge, daughter, age 9, born in Michigan.
- Two servants: Elizabeth Mathieson and Ester Redmond.
- Address: 60 Lake Shore Drive.
None of this information offers conflicts with the information found already (yes, I don’t consider spelling to be a true conflict).
1. 1920 U.S. census, Wayne County, Michigan, population schedule, Grosse Point, enumeration district (ED) 730, sheet 5A, p. 45A, dwelling 81-82, family 86-87, Charlotte B. Sharrad household; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 3 Jul 2011); citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm T625, roll 821.
2. 1920 U.S. census, Wayne County, Michigan, population schedule, Grosse Pointe, enumeration district (ED) 730, sheet 4B-5A, p. 44B-45A, dwelling 73, family 78, Edwin Lodge household; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 3 Jul 2011); citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm T625, roll 821.